How To Bet On Sports In Indiana From Out Of State
Many people who live in states that haven’t launched legal sports betting yet can travel to nearby states to bet instead. That’s the case with out-of-state Indiana sports betting. Legal sports betting remains elusive for residents of:
Fortunately for residents of any state, you don’t have to be a legal Indiana resident to get in on the action. If you’re of legal age and have a way to get inside the state’s borders, you can place a bet.
Sign Up Below in Ohio and Bet in Indiana
How to Start Sports Betting Legally
Visitors (and residents) of Indiana of legal age can bet from anywhere in the state on an Indiana online sportsbook. Cross the state line and log in to your online betting account.
Online sportsbooks will need the following information to complete your registration:
- Date of birth
- Email address
- Legal name
- Mailing address
- Last four digits of the Social Security Number (for identification verification)
To register to place a bet, you will have to prove your age and identity. Any government-issued ID like a driver’s license or a passport will do. The identifying document does not have to be issued by Indiana.
The minimum age is 21. The sportsbook will likely ask for your Social Security number as well. Don’t be alarmed; the sportsbook does that for tax purposes. Most gambling winnings, including sports betting payouts, are taxable income. Even if your state of legal residence doesn’t have an income tax, your winnings are likely still taxable in the opinion of the IRS. While you aren’t required to provide your Social Security number to place a bet, it makes the process much easier come tax time if you do. That applies to both land-based and mobile sports betting.
Now that you know what you will need to register to place a bet in Indiana, it’s time to figure out which sportsbook you will visit. While some bettors may already prefer a certain casino, others may be interested in the book closest to them.
Indiana Sportsbooks and Proximity to Other States
The state currently has 13 sportsbooks in several locations, with more in the coming months. The locations vary between casinos, racinos and off-track betting sites, with some locations a shorter drive for some out-of-state bettors than others. The Illinois-Indiana border stretches for quite a while, so which Indiana casino is closest for Illinois residents depends on which part of Illinois they live in.
Closest Indiana sportsbooks for Chicago residents
For Chicagoans and those in the Northern part of the state, there are several Indiana casinos and off-track betting site choices:
- Horseshoe Hammond Casino (00:29 drive time): 777 Casino Center Drive, Hammond
- Ameristar Casino (0:42 drive time): 777 Ameristar Blvd., East Chicago
- Blue Chip Casino (1:42 drive time): 777 Blue Chip Drive, Michigan City
Although the Four Winds South Bend is also in the northern part of Indiana, it does not yet have a sportsbook. Hard Rock in Gary will eventually host a sportsbook. It received its license in January 2002 to operate a retail book.
Closest Indiana sportsbooks for Detroit residents
The same books listed above are the closest options for people in western Ohio cities like Toledo or southern Michigan cities like Detroit.
- Blue Chip Casino (3:42 drive time): 777 Blue Chip Drive, Michigan City
- Ameristar Casino (4:14 drive time): 777 Ameristar Blvd., East Chicago
- Horseshoe Hammond Casino (4:23 drive time): 777 Casino Center Drive, Hammond
Closest Indiana sportsbooks for Columbus residents
There are options for those in Columbus, Ohio, and other parts of the Buckeye State.
- Hoosier Park Racing & Casino (3:04 drive time): 4500 Dan Pitch Circle, Anderson
- Indiana Grand Casino (3:10 drive time): 4300 N. Michigan Road, Shelbyville
Closest Indiana sportsbooks for St. Louis residents
There are more options for those in St. Louis, MO, and the southern part of Illinois. Those include:
- French Lick Casino (3:49 drive time): 8670 W. State Road 56, French Lick
- Horseshoe Southern Indiana (4:06 drive time): 11999 Casino Center Drive, Elizabeth
Closest Indiana sportsbooks for Louisville residents
Other options can be more convenient for those who live in Louisville, KY, and other parts of the Bluegrass State. Those include:
- Belterra Casino (1:13 drive time): 777 Belterra Drive, Florence
- Rising Star Casino (1:41 drive time): 777 Rising Star Drive, Rising Sun